Permaculture at Merritt College

Last December, eyes glazed over from teaching a semester of writing to 100 undergrads, I walked into a fancy shoe store in downtown San Francisco, tried on these amazing, red boots and bought them.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MFGTGOKSL._SX395_.jpgFor $250 dollars. Or rather, I charged them.

Strange things happen to your mind at the end of the term. I was feeling haggard, and everyone in the store told me I should have them—and not just the salespeople! So, I took them home, feeling propped up by my purchase, tried them on one more time and then came to my senses. I returned them a couple days later.

Just last week, at the end of the spring semester, I wandered bleary eyed, again, into a department store this time, and bought these.

It was the same thing all over again: red boots, other customers in the store told me I had to get them, and I took that as a sign that clearly, I should have some variation of a stylish red, cowboy boot. And these were $100 less than the last pair! Still, the same thing occurred: I brought them home, wondered what I was thinking and returned them, a little confused about the repeat. I'm not that great of a shopper.

What on earth does this have to do with gardening? 

This week, I spent the same, refunded, boot money on something that will surely bring me a longer-lasting sense of fulfillment: a class on permaculture at Merritt College!


What is permaculture? I’m in the early stages of figuring that out myself, but I like this definition, from the Regenerative Design Institute in Bolinas:

Simply put, permaculture is a design science that is rooted in the observation of nature…You can apply permaculture to any setting or climate – your garden, your farm or ranch, urban and suburban community structures, watershed systems, and your own inner ecology. The idea of designing our lives based on natural systems is not new – our ancestors naturally embodied these concepts for centuries…Permaculture asks: how do we – as a human species – sustain ourselves and provide for our needs and the needs of the environment for an indefinite period of time? Permaculturists are looking for the answers by using the principles and methods to create productive ecosystems that have the stability, diversity, and resilience of natural ecosystems.”

This video explains a bit more about Merritt’s particular program and approach.




I'm starting with one class but plan to complete their certificate program, which includes courses on Edible Landscaping, Landscape Horticulture, Plant Terminology, Regenerative Design and more! Last month, during their annual, spring plant sale, I visited the Horticulture Program's lovely gardens, which are an integral part of the permaculture program. Here's a glimpse of what I found:

A structure made of bamboo marks the entry to the gardens

An old tub doubles as a succulent garden

These prickly pear cactuses were looking for new homes

As were these red tree tomatoes that live 5-12 years and
grow 6-12 feet tall!

Plant shoppers from above

Beds made from logs and planted with
 a mixture of fruits, veggies and flowers

The chair of the Horticulture Department, Chris Grampp, says 
he's, "never seen it so popular before. It's a fundamental shift."

A stunning view across the bay, to the land where the red boots dwell.

I’ll probably always love shoes, but I’m looking forward to not only learning about more sustainable ways of growing food and maintaining gardens, but ways of meeting my own wants and needs, too. The truth is, the shiny, expensive promises of city life haven't brought me much satisfaction for a while now, and pursuing a path that puts me closer to the natural world has been a long time coming. And besides, I already have pair of bright, red shoes that go perfectly with the plants. (And these only cost $15!)


Comments

  1. Simone! Jennifer V. just led me to your blog. I had no idea you were into Yoga and gardening. I just got my Yoga Teaching Certificate, and am looking into volunteering at the SF Botanical garden. I am so inspired (This entry in particular is great), would love to have coffee soon. Jaime B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jaime! Thanks for reading. I would love to meet up, and I'm so glad to know about your blog, too. I just subscribed. I'll shoot you an email. Looks like we've been up to some similar stuff :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Wow, we really are up to similar stuff-- just saw your post from today and I'm reading Wild right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment